7 Least Known Yet Very Interesting Facts About Goa That You Should Know
Travel Articles | January 29, 2019
Undoubtedly, Goa is well known for its lovely beaches, historic cathedrals, and casinos. Interestingly, there are fascinating things about this wonderful Goa that are not been known for many visitors....
Undoubtedly, Goa is well known for its lovely beaches, historic cathedrals, and casinos. Interestingly, there are fascinating things about this wonderful Goa that are not been known for many visitors. If you are a first time visitor to Goa, it is wise for you to know these unknown or less known things about Goa. Read on to discover some of the undiscovered aspects about this wonderful and paradisiacal Goa.
- Rome of the East: Goa has earned a great reputation for being the capital of the eastern Portuguese Empire for more than four centuries. Interestingly, Goa continues to enjoy the status of the richest state in India due to the high rate of GDP measured in terms of per capita income. The state holds this unique feat which is more than double the country’s figure.
- The non-decomposed body of St Francis Xavier: The body of St Francis Xavier who died in 1553 is still preserved in a non-decomposed condition in a glass box and still kept in the Basilica of Bom Jesus church in Goa.
- Motorbike taxis: Goa can take pride than the other states in having the facility of motorcycle taxis and it is the only state in India which has this unique kind of public transportation. The drivers known as ‘pilots’, can take any traveler to the remotest part of the city where others cannot reach.
- Biodiversity hotspot: Having 30% of the state area covered with forests, Goa has been compared with the Amazon or Congo forests for its tropical biodiversity. The forests have around 1500 species of plants, 300 species of birds, 60 types of reptiles and 45 kinds of various mammals.
- Oldest Medical School: Goa Medical College was considered to the oldest one in the country as the state was to set up the first medical school in the 18th century under the Portuguese rule. Presently, the hospital offers all kinds of modern treatments to the patients.
- Asia's lonely museum for Naval Aviation: Goa can take pride in having a Naval Aviation Museum which is one of its rare kinds in the world. There are only six such museums around the globe.
- Highest mineral ore exporter: Goa stands tall in exporting mineral ore than the other states. This feature has enhanced the GDP level of the state in a high pedestal in the country. Japan make imports of this ore from Goa even in the present times.
So, when you planning your next trip to Goa, keep it in your mind the above mentioned some interesting and less known facts about Goa. Make your stay in some of the beach resorts in south Goa and make your trip more memorable and fun. If you wish to have a unique experience prefer the famous Carmona beach resort and enjoy the luxury and comforts which are more than your investment.