Mopah International Airport (Indonesian: Bandar Udara Internasional Mopah) is an airport in Merauke, Papua, Indonesia. The airport is considered to be Indonesia's second easternmost airport after Sentani International Airport in Jayapura. The airport serves as the main gateway to several tourist destinations around Merauke, the most notably is the Wasur National Park.
The airport was constructed by the Allied forces in 1943 during the time of World War II. The airport was built so that the allied forces can coordinate attack on the Japanese forces. After the Surrender of Japan in 1945, the allied forces started leaving the airport and military control of the airport was handed back to the government of Dutch East Indies in 1945. The airport is then managed by the Dutch organization Netherlands Indies Civil Administration (NICA). Following the New York Agreement, the Dutch handed the control of the airport to the Indonesian government in 1962 as they left New Guinea. * Source: Wikipedia